With a career that spanned over five decades, Levon Helm was an inspiration to musicians around the world with his deep respect, joy and love for music. Whether he was hitting the Arkansas 4-H Club circuit as a child, performing with Bob Dylan, garnering success with The Band and nurturing a successful solo career that included multiple GRAMMY Award wins, Helm was always a passionate performer who captivated audiences with an unmistakable voice and rhythmic power all his own.
On October 3, 2012, an unprecedented gathering of music stars and friends joined together to celebrate the life and music of Levon Helm at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, New Jersey. “Love for Levon” featured performances by Roger Waters, John Mayer, My Morning Jacket, Gregg Allman, Ray LaMontagne, Dierks Bentley, Joe Walsh, Eric Church, Grace Potter, Garth Hudson of The Band, Marc Cohn, Jakob Dylan, Mike Gordon, Warren Haynes, John Hiatt, Bruce Hornsby, Jorma Kaukonen, The Levon Helm Band, John Prine, Robert Randolph, Mavis Staples and Lucinda Williams throughout the concert.
This incredible tribute will be released as Love for Levon on DVD, Blu-Ray, CD and digital audio and video formats on March 19th (StarVista Entertainment/Time Life). The concert event will also as air as a special on AXS-TV (formerly HDNet, seen in over 34 million homes) February 17th with additional plans for PBS to broadcast it during their Spring pledge drive.
GRAMMY Award-winners Larry Campbell and Don Was served as co-musical directors and led the all-star band at the concert. Net proceeds from the benefit event went to help support the lasting legacy of Levon Helm by assisting his estate keep ownership of his home, barn and studio, and to continue the live performance series produced at The Levon Helm Studio, “The Midnight Ramble Sessions”.
Love for Levon will be available in the following configurations:
2 CD set (SRP $19.98)
Blu-Ray 2 Discs set (SRP $29.99)
DVD 2 Discs set (SRP $24.99)
Blu-Ray 2 Discs + 2 CD Set (Digipak) (SRP $39.99)
DVD 2 Discs + 2 CD Set (Digipak) (SRP $34.99)
Digital Audio for iTunes
HD Audio for HD Tracks
All DVD and Blu-ray sets will include special bonus material with almost two hours of in-depth artist interviews and behind-the-scenes footage.
LOVE FOR LEVON Tracklisting
1. “The Shape I’m In” / Warren Haynes with the All Star Band and Rami Jaffee
2. “Long Black Veil” / Gregg Allman and Warren Haynes with the All Star Band
3. “Trouble in Mind” / Jorma Kaukonen and Barry Mitterhoff with Larry Campbell, Justin Guip, Byron Isaacs and Jaimoe
4. “This Wheel’s on Fire” / The Levon Helm Band with Shawn Pelton
5. “Little Birds” / Larry Campbell, Justin Guip, Amy Helm, Byron Isaacs and Teresa Williams
6. “Listening to Levon” / Marc Cohn with the Levon Helm Band and Greg Leisz
7. “Move Along Train” / Mavis Staples with the Levon Helm Band
8. “Life Is a Carnival” / Allen Toussaint with the Levon Helm Band and Jaimoe
9. “When I Paint My Masterpiece” / John Prine and Garth Hudson with the Levon Helm Band and Joan Osborne
10. “Anna Lee” / Bruce Hornsby with Larry Campbell, Amy Helm and Teresa Williams
11. “Ain’t Got No Home” / Jakob Dylan with the All Star Band and Rami Jaffee
12. “Whispering Pines” / Lucinda Williams with the All Star Band and Rami Jaffee
13. “Rag Mama Rag” / John Hiatt with the All Star Band and Mike Gordon
14. “Don’t Do It” / David Bromberg and Joan Osborne with the All Star Band
15. “I Shall Be Released” / Grace Potter with Don Was and Matt Burr
16. “Tears of Rage” / Ray LaMontagne and John Mayer with the All Star Band
17. “Rockin’ Chair” / Dierks Bentley with the All Star Band, Jessi Alexander and Jon Randall
18. “Chest Fever” / Dierks Bentley and Garth Hudson with the All Star Band, Jessi Alexander and Jon Randall
19. “A Train Robbery” / Eric Church with the All Star Band
20. “Get Up Jake” / Eric Church with the All Star Band
21. “Tennessee Jed” / John Mayer with the All Star Band and Steve Jordan
22. “Up on Cripple Creek” / Joe Walsh and Robert Randolph with the All Star Band
23. “Ophelia” / My Morning Jacket
24. “It Makes No Difference” / My Morning Jacket
25. “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” / Roger Waters, My Morning Jacket and G. E. Smith
26. “Wide River to Cross” / Roger Waters and G. E. Smith with the All Star Band
27. Encore: “The Weight” / All performers