Folk Alliance International has six areas of concentration to achieve the above mission. It seeks to strengthen and advance organizational and individual initiatives in folk music and dance through education, networking, advocacy, professional and field development, and consumer development.
1. Education - To increase understanding of the rich variety, artistic value, cultural and historical significance, and continuing relevance of folk music and dance among educators, media, and the general public.
2. Networking - To provide a bridge to and from folk music and dance organizations and needed resources, and to help those organizations link with their constituencies.
3. Advocacy - To influence decision makers and resource providers on the national, state, provincial, and local levels, insuring the growth of folk music and dance.
4. Field Development - To support and encourage the development of new and existing grassroots folk music and dance organizations.
5. Professional Development - To strengthen the effectiveness of folk music and dance organizations by providing professional development opportunities.
6. Consumer Development - To build a stronger consumer base by identifying and involving current and potential folk music consumers and players through programs, marketing, and outreach.
We believe that greater diversity throughout the organization allows Folk Alliance International to:
Build a more creative and compassionate community. Folk music has historically been inclusionary at all levels and by nature brings community together. It has often been a part of movements for social and political change.
Spur awareness of other cultures and perspectives. We value sharing knowledge and conducting ourselves in a respectful manner. Interaction with a broader membership base introduces us to traditions from different countries and regions, along with perspectives of sub-communities within Folk Alliance International. Openness to and acceptance of these varied interests and perspectives will lead to greater inclusion and participation.
Provide enhanced opportunities for the organization and members. These additional viewpoints and communities will support our intrinsic value by fostering international and multi-cultural understanding, allowing FAI to make a greater impact in the music community and the world at large.
We also believe that bringing greater diversity to the organization will challenge our assumptions while revealing our similarities. It will have indefinable, intangible, and unpredictable effects. The costs of international expansion are worthwhile and of value.